Saturday, November 29, 2008

"Black Friday"

The name "Black Friday" really puzzles me.  What is so black about it?  True, we had rain storms yesterday, but my Friday is more than "black"!!

Elizabeth Anne and I went on our "Annual Black Friday" shopping trip.  The trip began on Thanksgiving evening when we traveled over to Frisco to spend the evening in the Best Western we had stayed in the year before....that Best Western turned out to be the same Hampton Inn we had stayed in the year before.  Elizabeth fussed the entire time because someone had changed the name from last year!!  After checking in and lounging for a few minutes, we trucked over to the mall movie theater to see Four Christmases.  We laughed our way through it and listened to an old woman in the back row talk out loud about the show the entire time!!

We set the alarm for 4:30 a.m. because we didn't want to miss out on the earliest shopping.  Needless to say, 4:30 a.m. came and went and we were still in bed.  I lay there asking Elizabeth if she was going to get up and she assured me she would, but, "In a little while!".  Eventually we were up and going at 6:00 a.m......Starbuck's first, of course!!  The line was not as long this year as last, or did we just sleep through the crowd?  Our first stop was Old Navy, then Target, then the mall.  Why is it that I always seem to know exactly what I want and the stores never have exactly what I want?  Do I just dream these gifts up or what?  The people we encountered were, for the most part, very congenial and neighborly.  However, when we went to Penney's that was another story.  I have never, never seen so many people in one store in all my life.  There were times we had to walk sideways to get through the aisles.  Merchandise of every shape, size and description was thrown on the floors and was being trampled by the masses.  Elizabeth and I took one look at each other and said, "Let's get out of here!", and we did!!  Back to DSW and Target, once more.  Our shopping spree began at 6:00 a.m. and ended at 3:30 p.m.  Thank the Lord for our brunch at The Cheesecake Factory or we would not have made it!!  I did not realize just how tired I was until I drove into the driveway and I thought Gary was going to have to carry me to the house!!  Now, that would have been one for "The World's Most Famous Videos", wouldn't it!?!

This "tradition" of ours started 4-5 years ago.  At first we left home at 5:00 a.m. on Friday and did our shopping.  This going to Frisco the night before and staying is a new tradition and we really enjoy it.  I love the shopping and the crowds, but my most favorite thing is just being with my wonderful daughter.  We laugh and talk and just have a wonderful time.  "People watching" is a favorite "sport" of ours; and, boy, do we see some doozies on that day!!  I am certain, however, that some of the people think we are "doozies", too!!  But, back to Elizabeth, shopping is a passion of hers.  I am so pleased that I taught her well!!  Hah!  Hah!!  Now, all that is left is the gift wrapping....and that will come in the days to come.  The most important thing is that we spent the time together, we enjoyed each other and the day and we came home in one piece!!  Thank you, Elizabeth, for spending the time with me.  I love you more than you will ever know.

1 comment:

Denyse said...

While the thought of venturing out on Black Friday makes me break out in a cold sweat, ya'lls trip actually sounds like fun. Especially the part about The Cheesecake Factory!