Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thank You, All Who Have Served Us So Well!!

Today is the official Veteran's Day celebration.  In my opinion we should be celebrating our veterans and those currently serving every day of the year!!

I am the daughter of a man who served during WWII.  My Daddy never had to serve "across the waters", but he served his country well as an MP here in the United States.  He had charge over many prisoners.  I can remember him telling us so often of going to Ft. Levenworth KS to either deliver or pick up prisoners.  My Daddy met Mama when he was investigating a plane crash on the Canadian River in the Panhandle of Texas.  It is terrible to say, but, thank God for that plane crash and for the chance meeting of my parents!!  Daddy was proud to serve his country and was even more proud of all the men he served with.

My Grandpa served during WWI in the fields of battle overseas.  I can still remember seeing pictures of him in his uniform.  Grandpa never talked much about his experiences but he would tell us he would have done it over and over again just to protect his family in the United States.

My Father-in-law served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.  He was serving on a ship in the Pacific Ocean when Pearl Harbor was attacked.

I have had many relatives who served, both during war time and during times of peace.  Many young cousins served in Vietnam.   Two high school friends were killed in Vietnam.

The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are now raging.  My children have friends who have served or are currently serving our country.  Aaron Davies served in the U.S. Marines for several years and is now home.  Andy Davis is currently serving in the U.S. Marines and Mark Shepherd is serving in the U.S. Army, currently deployed to Iraq for his third tour of duty there in five years.   I see his little family as they attempt to be happy without him.  I see his little wife suffer because her husband is not at home with her.  He is missing out on some of the most beautiful years in the lives of his two precious daughters.  

Please, please, people of America, do not forget our veterans or the men and women who are currently serving.  They should be our heroes rather than movie stars and politicians and pop singers!  They should be the ones we look up to!  They should be the ones who receive our praise and thanks!!  

No comments: