Monday, November 10, 2008

Youth-Just a Thought #2

Yesterday as I sat with the freshman and sophomore "ladies" in Bible study, I was once more taken back by their youthful enthusiasm.  Everything they say or do is done with so much zest for life that I sometimes find myself longing for that youth again.  They talk about the last pep rally of the year and all the antics that went on.  They talk about going to see a movie and having dinner together and just bubble at the thought of it.  Oohs and aahs are very prevalent during the conversation.  Was I ever that young?  Did I ever act like that?

The lesson was on building our life on a solid foundation--Jesus Christ.  How blessed I have been in my life to have that "Foundation" holding me up through it all.  Now that I am older and I wake every morning with aches and pains and I can't walk as fast as I once did and I can't hold up to shop as long as I once did (of, my!), I am very thankful for that "Foundation" because I would not be able to make it without Him.  As I listened to all the laughter and conversation, I was also praying for these young ladies--praying that in their youth they would not forget the One Who is in control and Who will always be there; praying that their feet and lives are firmly planted on that "Foundation" and thankful that I can be a part of telling them about that "Foundation".

Some days I long for that youth again; but most days, I don't.  You see, I truly believe that a person is as old or young as they want to be.  I may be over 60, but in my mind I still feel like I am in my 30's or 40's.  Working with children and teenagers all these years has perhaps stunted my mental growth!  But, that is just fine; at least my mind is still youthful!!   I don't want to relive parts of my life, as I have heard countless other people say.  I am afraid that I would make more mistakes than before and I believe that my God, Who has control of my life, planned for "things" to happen just the way they have.  Youth is a blessing, but so is growing older.  I am now more relaxed and can enjoy things more.  I enjoy both of my children immensely, not that I didn't when they were growing up; but, I no longer feel pressured by the world to make them perfect in the world's eyes.  They are God's creation and they are becoming what He wants, not what the world wants!!  I enjoy sitting and talking with my husband more; I enjoy the trips to Beaver's Bend with Gary just to enjoy God's nature and each other; I enjoy planning the trip to Vancouver and the Northwest US with Gary to celebrate our anniversary; I enjoy watching Gary as he "plays" with Tre' and Anthony Wayne and Grandpa; I enjoy sitting and watching the birds and creatures in my backyard; I enjoy shopping with Sheila (my sister); I enjoy Kalyn and watching her swim and take care of Gunther (my dog);  I enjoy watching cooking shows with Amy Ann and talking about what we might do if we had a show; I enjoy watching Mattie as she matures into such a beautiful young lady;  I enjoy taking a "road trip" halfway across the country to Disney World with Hannah and Hallie; I enjoy Jilli-bean and Emma-licious - just loving on them and laughing at them and helping to take care of them.  I never used to have time to do these things.   

So, to me, growing older is not so bad!!  Maybe in my youth I was too busy doing things that really didn't matter anyway!!  Thank you, Lord, for giving me a wonderful youth; and, thank you for giving me an even better time of growing older!!

"He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be.  It took Him just a week to make the moon and stars, the sun and Earth and Jupiter and Mars; but He's still working on me!"

No comments: