Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Supper Club and Taco Soup

Last night Gary and I had the honor of being the host home for what is called "Monday Night Supper Club".  Both of our children and several of their friends get together on Monday nights to eat and just visit.  Paige called and asked if we could provide the house this week if she provided the meal.  Of course, I said, "Yes", and am so happy that I did.  I had been hearing a lot about this "event" every week and wanted to be a part of it this time, too.

I ALWAYS enjoy it when some of my "kids" come to our house, whether it be to eat or just to drop by.  Because our two children are so close in age they have many mutual friends.  During their "growing up years", we had the privilege (and I really, really mean privilege) of having many of their friends at our home on numerous occasions.  There was rarely a Friday or Saturday night that someone was not at our home.  During a "True Love Waits" function at our church,  Elizabeth got up and thanked us for always opening our home to their friends and mentioned that we (meaning Gary and I) never knew who we would find on the sofa or floors when we got up on Saturday or Sunday mornings.  What she does not realize is that I long for those days again....getting up with kids everywhere.  I long for the laughter and talking and mud football games and the Bible studies that they so often did together.  I long for the times when my mother would have to tell Lee and Justin and Matthew to settle down (at 1:00 or 2:00 a.m.) and to get to bed (Gary and I were soundly sleeping and found out about this later).  I long for the times when Elizabeth called me at work to ask me to tell Lee and Matthew to let her out of her room....they had tied her door knob with a rope and had tied the other end to the bathroom door knob!!  I long for the costume parties and for the kids coming here on their way to the prom or Favorites dances.  Those times were some of the best times of my life and I hope theirs, too.

I look forward to visits from all "my kids" who have come through my home at one time or another.  I thank God that we were a part of their lives and pray that in some way or another we have made a positive impression on their lives.  I love being a part of their lives and their babies lives now.  

Thank you, "Monday Night Supper Club", for coming to our home last evening.  Paige the taco soup was wonderful!!  (thanks, Kimberly, for the recipe!!)  Thank you, all of my kids' friends, for allowing me to be a part of your lives. 

3 comments:

Kimberly Carpenter said...

I am glad you enjoyed the soup! Quite a dandy, huh?! I was watching 20/20 last night. They followed a group of high schoolers putting on a musical. I was pulled back in time to my teenage years. Awkward and fun all together. I look forward to making those memories with little ones in years to come. :)

Paige said...

Thank you so much for opening your home for "Monday Night Supper Club" and so many things. Thank you for what your whole family means to us. You are some incredibly people and I feel so blessed that you are part of our babies lives. We love you!

Denyse said...

Yes, Ms. Cheryl! Thanks for letting us have MNSC at your house even though you had a very busy week looming before you. I believe this (and all the other spur-of-the-moment times) is a perfect example of what Romans 12:13 means when it says, "Practice hospitality."