Wednesday, January 14, 2009

This, Too, Shall Pass

Six months ago, when Lee announced that he was selling his home, moving back in with us and saving for seminary, I felt a twinge of uneasiness.  As the days and weeks went by, however, that feeling subsided and I really began to enjoy having Lee home with us once again.  Sure, his being here added to the dirty clothes pile, one more bed to be made in the morning and more food to be prepared every day.  But, I loved the fact that my baby was home once again and I could go to the bedroom to see him sleeping during the middle of the night, just as I had done so many nights before.

Yesterday, however, the reality of his impending move struck me like a lightening bolt.  I was in town doing some "honey-do's" and some "mommy-do's" when I received a text message from Lee. It simply said, "I am going to Rockwall with Greg and Ted FOR THE LAST TIME.  See you later.  I love you."  Well, that phrase "FOR THE LAST TIME",  could have been a Mack truck hitting me and I would not have felt any different than I did when I read it!!  I wanted to shout back at the phone, "It is not over for good!!  You are just going away for only a short time and you will be back!!", but I didn't.  I simply texted him back with, "OK!".  Tears came to my eyes and all I wanted to do was hug him and rock him.

We have experienced a child moving before.  When Elizabeth went to East Texas Baptist University in Marshall I thought my world was ending then, too.  I survived the four years, however, and am so very proud of the beautiful woman of God and wonderful teacher she has become.  She needed that physical distance from Mom and Dad to be able to spread her wings and grow.  She needed that time to form new and lasting friendships.  She needed that time to prove to herself that she could. 

Now, as Lee prepares to move to St. Louis, I am having to learn to let go again.  It is in God's plan for Lee's life that he start this new adventure.  It is in God's plan for my life to let Lee spread his wings and fly.  I am convinced that Lee knows exactly where God wants him to be at this time and phase of his life.  Covenant Seminary and St. Louis seem so far away; but, it could be so much farther.  I am looking forward to the day when Lee crosses that stage and receives his Master of Divinity degree.  Three years seem like such a long time; but, this, too, shall pass.  I am looking forward to the plans God has in store for Lee after those three years.

Note for Lee:  I love you, Booger Bear.  I am so proud of you and the man you are becoming.  Thank you for sharing your life with us and for being a wonderful son.  I will miss you, but I do know how to get to St. Louis and you better believe I will be coming....SOON!

2 comments:

Jerilyn said...

My heart skipped a beat and tears came to my eyes when I read this..I remember when Mark told me he joined the army and was taking my baby to Colorado..I though I woul die..it was a rough 6 years..today, as you know I am so thankful to have my baby girl back home with her babies.

Addie said...

So I wasn't expecting to tear up this early in the morning Mrs.Hyatt, but so glad you shared this. I can't imagine how you're feeling, but in my experience, having parents being "ok" with the many adventures I have gone on has been a blessing, especially knowing that if I need to, I can always come back home! :) Love you! You'll all be in my prayers.