Saturday, January 17, 2009

"Our Heavenly Father Made the Birds"

One of my favorite children's songs is, "Our Heavenly Father Made the Birds".  I have sung it over and over and over for years to children of all ages.  The words of the song are:

Our Heavenly Father made the birds.
He showed them what to do.
If God so loved the little birds,
I know He loves me, too.

If you are like me, there are many songs that I sing (or hum to myself as my children remind me all of the time) where I just repeat the words that I have learned and never really listen to the message.  I think I get in a habit of just singing the words and not really listening to them.  Our Worship Leader at church reminds us often of how important music is to true worship.  Music sets the tone for worship.  Music is a vital part of worship.  How often, however, are the words absorbed and applied to my life?

Gary and I have a very large back yard.  Being the nature lover that he is, Gary has put up many bird feeders....red birds, tufted titmouse, sparrows, crows, house wrens, painted buntings and finches are just some of the birds that visit our home daily.  Perhaps one of the most beautiful ones to visit, however, is the dove.  We have both ring-neck and mourning doves visit every day.  This morning Gary and I were sitting at the breakfast table watching the birds as we ate.  I don't even remember what we were talking about at the time, but my mind flashed back to the song I have mentioned above as two or three doves began to make their descent to the bird feeders.  They were flying pretty fast as they came in; but as they came closer, their wings and tail feathers began to spread and they slowed to almost a crawl as they landed.  A perfect example of the words....".....He showed them what to do.  If God so loved the little birds, I know He loves me, too."  

Man, alone, races through life at a fast pace....seeking, seeking, seeking.  Their landings are often rocky, shaky and, almost always, disasterous.  Man, alone, tries to do it on his own.  No one is there to show them how to spread their wings and tail feathers and make a smooth landing.  However, man with God in his heart and life, learns through gentle nudging and persuading to put their trust in the One Who loves them so, to spread their wings and tail feathers and to come in for a perfect landing....the landing that all Christians long for.  What a beautiful sight the perfect landing of the dove is.  What a beautiful sight when someone who has searched for so long finds the One Who will guide their landings.

I pray for the day when more and more men and women will open their hearts and let Jesus come in.  I pray that God will make me an instrument of His message to people throughout the world.  I pray that I have many more chances to sing, "If God so loved the little birds, I know He loves me, too".  What a beautiful message to a lost and searching world.  Help me, Lord, to listen to the words You have given me through Your messengers.  Help me to be aware of what You would have me to hear.  Help me, oh Lord, to share the Good News of Jesus Christ to the world around me.

4 comments:

Denyse said...

Ms. Cheryl, I dislike birds almost as much as Dilbert does. But what a testiment to His character that He can teach us about His love even when the "messengers" are creepy and have beady eyes.

Jerilyn said...

Tears were in my eyes as I read the message, my heart filled with warmth.............then I read Denyse's comment and again my eyes filled with tears with the laughter..I too am not fond of birds......

Kimberly Carpenter said...

I love birds a lot! But, I don't know this sweet song. You will have to sing it to me sometime.

Michelle B. said...

I am a bird lover too; until our most recent dog joined us, we always had many birds grace our feeders.

A cute story comes to mind; when Keegan was a little boy in his high chair, we would sit and watch all the birds while we ate breakfast and lunch. One day, he took hold of my hand, and with his little finger, poked my palm saying, "Peck, peck, peck!" I knew he understood what the woodpeckers were doing out in our trees! We both laugh about it now when we see a woodpecker. LOL