Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sam and Esther

The Story of Sam and Esther


I have spent the day trying to decide how, and even if, I should post my thoughts today.  You see, I started my blog to share my thoughts on various subjects that I found interesting, funny, helpful or insightful.  I did not want to limit my subjects; but, I did not want to bore myself or anyone else in doing so.  Today's subject was brought to my attention very early this morning as I was reading another blog.  What I saw on that blog has been very vivid in my mind and on my heart.  "How, Lord, do I tell others without boring them?  Will they even be interested?  Will they understand the hurting in my soul?  Will I have the correct words to convey the message?"  His answer to me was, "Start writing and I will give you the words!!"  So, here goes!

I was drawn to a web site this morning after reading the blog of someone who is very involved in missions work around the world, but specifically in Africa.  The web site featured a story that had a video to go along with it.  The video was the story of an American woman who has spent limitless hours trying to help the starving masses in Uganda.  The camera crew followed her as she went deeper and deeper into the bush, searching for villages of people who are so desperately hungry and ill and are dying.  They stumbled upon a boy (Sam) and a girl (Esther).  Sam is seven years old and his sister is five.  They are found lying in the dirt with just shirts on their backs.  The video is very graphic and shows their shriveled little bodies as they are lying there alone.  The commentator, who is also a cameraman, goes on to say that Sam weighs no more than 20 pounds.  He puts his large video camera next to the child and the camera is almost larger than Sam.  His sister, Esther, is two years younger but is actually slightly larger than Sam.  Both babies have had polio--POLIO!!  How long has it been since you heard that term?  Both babies cannot walk or sit up.  They are laying face down in the dirt just turning around and around, crying out for help.  Suddenly, in the background, the moans of a crying woman can be heard.  It is the missionary woman who is so distraught she can no longer contain her sorrow.  She says in the video that she has never seen anything like this in all the villages she has visited.

The people who had come upon this village watch in amazement as a sister, only eight-years-old herself, comes out of the bush carrying jugs of water.  She goes over to the children and gently begins to lovingly bathe them (does this remind you of a certain story of our Savior when he washes the feet of his disciples?).  The commentator said that this older sister had been cooking for her younger siblings but had run out of food.  She could no longer feed them but she saw they were dirty and she bathed them out of love.  I watched in awe as this little girl, not much larger than those she was caring for, picked them up and carried them to a mat after they were clean.  The little girl was given packets of crackers and peanut butter the visitors had with them; and, before she had one herself, she opened the packets and give each of the other two children crackers.  Notice I said, "BEFORE she ate she fed the others!!"  A few minutes went by; and, to everyone's amazement, the two babies were sitting up.  Their hunger had made them so weak they could not sit up!!  (And I get anxious when I feel the least hunger pains!!)

The commentator went on to say that before the group left the village arrangements had been made for the two younger children to be taken to a hospital 35 miles away.  After six weeks they were strong enough to be sent to a foster home and plans were being formulated for the children to go to a rehabilitation hospital for treatment of the effects of the polio.  The older sister had been placed in a foster home and was being cared for with monies sent by an American family who had seen the story.

Late this afternoon my husband and I were at a new restaurant in a town nearby for an early dinner.  As I sat there and looked at all the food that had been laid out before us, my mind went back to the story of Sam and Esther.  I am so blessed.  I am so privileged.  I am not hungry.  I am not thirsty.  I have clothes to cover my body.  I have a home that provides a safe-haven.  I have people I know love me and care about me.  I have medical providers I can go to when I am sick.  I have never wanted for anything.  When I die I know I am going to Heaven.

Sam and Esther have always been hungry, thirsty, naked, homeless, unloved (except for their beautiful sister), never had medical care, always wanted because they never had and have never heard the Word of God so they don't even know what Heaven is!!  And, yes, there are, unfortunately, Sam's and Esther's right here in America.  I know.  I worked for the welfare department (child welfare) at one time!

I want these babies, and all babies and mommies and daddies, to know my loving Savior.  I want them to feel full and bubbling over and have warm clothes and homes, and loved.  I want them to have medical care when needed.  I want them to know all about Heaven.  I may not be able to go physically myself, but I can support mission interests around the world and I can pray, pray, pray for those who can go and do.  I can pray, pray, pray for all the Sam's and Esther's and Sally's and Bill's and ........"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

No comments: