Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Mamas and Their Babies

Have you ever watched a mother hen as she gently tries to round up all her chicks?  She is not happy until they have all come to her and are resting under her wings.  One by one they come and she gently nudges them under her wings with her beak, not satisfied til they are all there.  Protection is a word that comes to mind.  Love is another.  She loves on them and protects them until they begin to spread their wings and take flight--or as we might say, they leave the nest.  Is it hard for her to watch her babies leave?  Probably not; for, in the case of the mother hen, she will lay more eggs shortly and will have more babies to tend, the thought of the ones before just distant memories.

How do human mothers feel as their children begin to leave the nest?  They have loved them, fed them, clothed them, taught them and protected them for so many years.  Is it hard to see them fly away?  One answer is appropriate for this question:  YES!!  In the case of mothers who see their children leave to fight a war or wars, I am certain it is even harder and the longing for that child only grows stronger as the days, weeks and months go by.  The only thing she can do for that child in war is pray--pray for protection and safety and guidance.  Pray that they remember they are loved.  Pray that they will return home whole and safe.

A young man who has been a very good friend of both my children for years returned this week from a war in a foreign land.  He came home for R&R (the military's term for "vacation") for two weeks.  This young man is a quiet person.  He has a beautiful smile and his eyes just sparkle.  He LOVES BMW's.  He has a most precious and beautiful young wife and two of the most gorgeous little girls in the world.  Last night several of us met in a local restaurant to surprise this young man with a "Welcome Home" and "Happy 27th Birthday" party.  As he entered the room and saw all the people, his face just began to shine and that smile came across his lips.  He was truly surprised.  I watched as he greeted each one there.  First was his family.  His Dad, his sisters, in-laws, friends.  I began to watch his Mother as he came closer to her.  The love in her eyes was so great; the smile on her face was one of relief; the tears were ones of happiness.  But, the thing that really caught my attention was when she reached up and began to touch the back of his hair.  Her hand lingered there for quite some time; and, with each stroke of her hand, a sense of, "My baby is here, right where he belongs!" was seen on her face and demeanor.  Her chick was home, under the wings of protection!!

Our babies get bigger and grow up and move out of the home.  Some may go near and some may go far.  I have told my two babies all their lives that they may grow up and move from home, but they will ALWAYS be my babies.  I will always want to hold them, rock them, make everything right for them, protect them.  My children were true gifts from God.  I firmly believe that He wants me to continue to pray for them, offer them shelter from the storm if necessary and to love, love, love, love them unconditionally.  When they "fly from the nest" my job is not done.  I am their mother forever and ever and ever (or for infinity as I always tell my son)!

Thank You, God, for mothers who have to "loan" their sons to the armies.  Thank You for the sons who are willing and ready to go.  Thank You for my babies and for the many women who have been my mentors in showing me how to be a good mother.  Thank You, Father, thank You.

1 comment:

Michelle B. said...

My mom has sent three boys off to war, and I can only imagine how hard that was for her. Thankfully, they have all returned. I don't think they are whole though--maybe they are physically, but they have been torn and scarred by what they saw and had to do. My prayer for the soldiers is that the Lord will heal the internal damage done by such tragic events.